Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Slow Boat West

Dearests,

To the Hong Kong skyline 'tis difficult to bid farewell, but minutes ago I bid so and wait now the morn and a flight to Tokyo - by which, of course, I mean a flight to Pittsburgh, as all is one and the same after boarding at 9:20 the first of three connecting. I took this rainy morning with umbrella in hand at a Christian retreat center atop a mountain in the New Territories of Hong Kong, praying in a labyrinth over my last two months and months to come. It was a fitting and energizing way to both close my time here and open my return, as well as a vivid and poignant spot to finish my Old Testament reading and open the New. This evening I bussed to Repulse Bay and went nightswimming in a dark-clouded summer storm, again praying over my time, reciting scripture, and asking for more faith, love, and wisdom to guide my return.

I thought this evening to hold a night's vigil, as has been my custom before overseas flights, so to more quickly align my internal clock with that of yours, United States, but my eyes fail me now. Then to close, seven hours before a twenty-minute rail ride to the airport: Thank you so sincerely to those who supported me during my stay and continue to uplift me through prayer, and also very appreciatively to those who financed my work, placing a confidence and trust in me that so humbled me during final examinations week last May at college, to the point that I trembled beneath the blessing of your gracious support, thinking myself unfit for this task - as then I knew not where I would travel nor what I would do after that first week in Thailand! But all by grace has fared well and instructed me more than I could have foreseen.

I've to be quick. A slow boat west then I'm home. Until then, my love, and a part of Psalm 27 that an Alaskan comrade with whom I prayer journeyed through Vietnam and Laos bade me memorize:

'The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?
When evil-doers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who will stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will remain confident.

One thing I ask of the Lord, that this I may seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple...

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.'

For faith,
js

1 comment:

Edwards Family said...

Sound like you made it to Tao Fong Shan. I'm glad you did. Looking forward to hearing more about it.